Monday 13 June 2011

Crud Catcher Curse - Rd3 Pearce Cycles, Hopton

Well, this last weekend turned into yet again another wet race for the Pearce Cycles crew, I reckon Peaty's put a curse on me since handing out a load of the excellent Crud gear with our Santa Cruz V10's at the start of the season... Everyone loves riding dirty tho eh!

With mixed weather reports heading in to the weekend it was clear that one thing was for certain, rain.

I turned up Saturday morning in the new race van which I'd finally managed to get sorted after months/years of toying with the idea so was cool to finally get it all sorted and take the big rig racing. Team mate Jenny parked up next to me and we kinda got a mini SPS pit area running for the weekend. We also caught up with other SPS team mates Michael, Ben and Freddie.



The track was looking good with a couple of new sections and corners thrown in to keep everyone happy. I found it pretty hard to get a good flow going in practice and then just when I did I went back up and had a run where I had three crashes... Tidy, so after getting my head back together off I went again to sort some alternative lines out in my last couple of practice runs.

As ever the uplifts were running great with minimal queue times and some people got as many as 14 runs in, I was either lazy or as I like to call it now I'm getting older, preserving myself for race day and did a modest 7.! Quality not quantity

The Sun shone for the rest of the late afternoon and into the evening so i walked the track, played army with my son Ben and Sion Whitecross and then had a monster BBQ with the family who'd travelled up to support me which was awesome and great to have them around.

Adrian Bradley (Bud) who was staying in his caravan next door gave us an updated weather report and he was so convinced changed his tyres to wets in the evening sunshine.. I was holding out with some optimism and turned in for bed.

Awaking Sunday morning to the familiar sound of rain on the roof of the van. Bud had the last laugh and a lie in no doubt.

Did a few last minute changes to my Santa cruz to get her running sweet for the mud and headed up for a couple of practice runs which went well. Cleaned myself and bike off after practice and set about prepping my gear for the 1st race run. When's it wet it's mega important to sort your goggles out and thanks to the SPS team we're well catered for using Smith Optics but even these I like to do a few modifications on to ensure clear vision when it gets as muddy as it was here.

Turned out my first race run was pretty ropey up the top and I went off course once then made a hash on a major line trying to make back the time. James Hughes put 10s into me at the split but I clawed 2s back at the bottom to leave me 8s down and in 2nd spot. Hughes was flying and I knew it was gonna be tough to get that kinda time back even with a clean run.




It was real wet and cold hanging round in the pits so I made sure I was warmed right up for 2nd race run using Jenny's turbo trainer and made a dash for the uplift. Got to the top and somehow had missed my run as they'd ran us in reverse order.... after a bit of confusion and haggling with the main man Sebastian I was allowed to go. This run went better and with all the rain it seemed to make the track even grippier in places. I came down fastest in this run but was still 4s off Hughes' first run time so bagged 2nd spot on the day with Will Gough in 3rd.

Came away leading the overall series so all in all a great weekends racing, stoked.

Rest of the syndicate crew also did well, Jenny 8th, Ben 5th, Freddie 3rd and Michael 3rd so great for the team. Smashed it.

Full results here http://www.rootsandrain.com/race297/2011-jun-12-pearce-cycles-3-hopton/


Well, this week I'm mostly training hard and getting ready for the Mountain Mayhem 24hr endurance XC race which I can't wait for. Basically a mix of the old Malvern Classics feel as it's at the same place, Eastnor Park. Think festival with bikes thrown in to mix. Might see you there or at Llangollen BDS the week after!

Cheers for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment