Tuesday 26 July 2011

National Champs an Stuff

In the few weeks leading up to the national champs i'd done a couple of alternative races, mountain mayhem which is always a class event to be a part of and also joined my local roadie club for a one off 10mile time trial that i managed to bag 2nd place at with mudguards/lights and all left on my commuter ride.

Training's been going really well with the help of www.adywatts.co.uk and with a few early morning sessions under my belt I'd like to think I'm in good shape even if it just helps mentally.

Since the last BDS round at Llangollen 4 weeks previous where I'd managed 3rd spot ive gotta be honest id done very little riding, only managed to ride DH once... I'd wanted to spend some quality family time between races and make up for all the time away racing.



Anyway, last weekend 23/24th Llangollen played host to the national champs DH mtb and to be fair was a blinding weekend. They used the mental wooded top section which id never ridden before and then broke out in to the open about halfway down the old track finishing on the standard triple step downs.

I managed to walk the track late Friday night after a VIP up lift courtesy of team mate Tom 'TK' Kelly sporting a pretty sick mullet for the weekend. The track was pretty impossible to walk... I was hoping it'd be easier to ride than walk but wasn't holding out much hope as it looked gnarly as fook with crash netting everywhere and even rope access !



Just to add insult, Friday night it smashed it down with rain.

Saturday started a bit damp but then the weather just got better all weekend.

First run down was proper wild, I'd left High Rollers on as I knew it was gonna dry out but as I was about 10th rider down in first practice it was a bit tasty and just a matter of survival and staying on down the steep technical stuff.
I quickly switched to flat pedals which I don't think I've raced on before, ever... Saturday practice went real well and I caught up with all the SPS crew to talk lines, wife beater vests and general shenanigans.



The sunset Saturday evening was pretty cool as me and the lad walked the course.

Race day, everyone was up super early to get the first uplift and get some extra practice in before seeding runs. My V10 had been running sweet all weekend so with a few minor tweaks here and there she was good to go.

The track had got pretty beaten up during practice



But on the whole had held up well. It's pretty strange how on Saturday the top section felt pretty difficult but come Sunday it felt almost normal and most riders were starting to attack it a bit more.

I qualified in a solid 2nd place just behind James Hughes and knew I had a bit more to give for the finals which to be fair I was going to have to do to beat an on form Hughes.

Race runs were soon upon us and I was sat in start gate before I knew it, had what felt a blinding top section and was right on the edge, just below the big log drop I hit a hole and nose rode for ages before getting spat over the bars big time and cartwheeling down the track right on the steep stuff, I knew it was over there and then but got back on and tried to claw back time before over cooking it on the open section and going off track in to the soft mulch. Ah well, finished 7th in the end with Hughes taking the top spot and the jersey, good work lad.

Knew I was going to have to push if I wanted to win it so not too worried I went down, really!

Well done to SPS riders Tristan 2nd place masters (bout time kidder) and Billy for 5th in the juniors.

Off to Bala next race, canne wait

Till the next time

CG

No comments:

Post a Comment